Lions FC has been involved with the Good Sports + Healthy Eating program since 2013.
Good Sports works with community sporting clubs across Australia to build safe, healthy and family-friendly environments by promoting a responsible attitude towards alcohol and food consumption.
An initiative of the Australian Drug Foundation, Good Sports provides free support to sporting clubs to:
- Increase the viability and impact of sporting clubs in their community.
- Reduce alcohol related problems such as underage drinking, drink driving & alcohol related violence.
- Change the ‘high risk’ behaviour of players, supporters & club members.
- Increase the range of healthy food and drink options at the canteen and decrease the supply of unhealthy food and drinks.
The Good Sports program is working to ensure sport and family come first. When a sports club is a Good Sports club:
- Parents expect their children and families are protected from the misuse of alcohol in and around the club and will have access to a range of healthy food and drink options.
- Communities benefit from reduced noise, injury, damage and drink driving incidents relating to sports club events and enjoy a better public image.
- Players appreciate an improved club culture that is more attractive to sponsors, families, juniors, teams and volunteers, along with better community relations, and a stronger chance of funding or revenue options. Good Sports Clubs will be recognised as leaders in promoting and encouraging healthy lifestyles.
For more information on this program, please click on the following links (and check out the Good Sports website – click on the logo at the top of the article)
Healthy Snacks letter